6/4/10

The Old Fashioned

In reading the book, it seemed like the only drink Amis mentioned as the Dry Martini was the Old Fashioned. He once said it was the best drink on the other side of the spectrum from said Dry Martini, and he was actually right.

The Old Fashioned
Mostly Whiskey
Sugar
Angostura Bitters
Orange Juice
Maraschino Cherry Juice

I followed the method he described in the book--dissolving the sugar in some warm water, adding the bitters, then the whiskey (he calls for bourbon, I used 7 Crown) and the oj and cherry juice, stirring, then adding ice and stirring again. I forwent the fruit garnish, as I dont like cherries, and I didnt feel like slicing an orange.

This drink is a little time consuming to make, but not anymore so than my homemade mojitos, and it has the added bonus of being the only whiskey + fruit juice drink that I have found good, let alone tolerable.

The Old Fashioned has made whiskey interesting again

No comments:

Post a Comment